Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Secret Family Recipe Revealed.

I was once working in a high-end restaurant in California as a line cook. I told my chef that I knew how to make spatzle as he had mentioned he wanted it on the menu. Just to make sure I was doing it right I called my mother. That was a blessing and a curse of a convo. . . It went something like this:

Me- "Hi mom! So I have my spatzle batter made and I want to make sure I did it right."

Her- "Is your water Heavily salted and boiling already?"

Me- "No, just waiting on the water to boil"

Her " Throw it out! YOU ARE HUNGARIAN DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE SPATZLE?!?!?!?!"

Apparently I shamed the family name. Spatlze making isn't so much about a good recipe but following the technicalities. Your Dough should not be mixed until your water is at a full boil. If the dough sits to long the gluten and starches work there magic and create a very tough noodle. Not what you want. So patience is key! The only seasoning the noodle receives is in the water, and do not rinse with cold water when done. Weird I know but that's how it's done here. . . And it works.

So here is our family recipe. Enjoy! boiled and pieced chicken can be added to this as well.

Spatzle
4 Whole Eggs
3 Cups of flour
1 1/2 cups of cold water

Sauce
1 half onion small dice
1 Tbs Butter
1 Tbs flour
1 tsp paprika
3 (or more if you like!) Tbs of sour cream
1 cup of whole milk
Salt and pepper to taste







Fill Pot


Bring HEAVILY salted water to a boil (about 3/4 of a cup of salt)

Get eggs water and flour ready


If you have a spatzle maker just use that. Mine was lost so I got creative. Once water comes to boil cover w strainer upsidedown



Begin by whisking eggs

Mix all ingredients together and pour over strainer about 1/2 a cup at a time

Push through with a spoon and watch for noodles to float to top!


Strain noodles in batches with a slotted spoon or small strainer with a handel. Repeat until noodles are done. Toss lightly in olive oil and set aside.

In a Frypan saute One half chopped onion and 1 tsp.paprika in 1Tbs butter

Add One Tbs of flour and saute until lightly browned

Add 1 Cup of milk and Three Tbs. of Sour cream. Season with salt and cook until thickened.


Add noodles back to sauce to warm through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...