Monday, February 22, 2010

Mama knows best!


So this weekend I have a catering gig. I did what I always do and called mom to give details and get advice. She remembers "the little things" and knows a few tricks of the trade herself. I needed to go to my personal heaven (AKA East bay restaurant supply) so she joined me on this excursion and our 30 minute drive was a lot of her talking and me listening. Typically my mother won't waste a breath on things of unimportance so when the topic of hot dogs came to her mind I knew it would be an "Interesting" Diatribe. She asked me:
"Lydia, what do you do with the extra hot dog buns you get in the package?"
I responded:
"Let them mold."
I hate to waste but it's an honest answer. I never use them. Guilty as charged. So began my mothers uses for those two annoying extra buns and now I share with you!

1. place buns in cuisenart and mix until crumbled. Toss in olive oil in a small bowl. Saute on low heat until crispy. Breadcrumbs are complete! Use to bread pork-chops, chicken, meatloaf or save for the top of a cassarole.

2. Let buns dry out. (but not mold) use as directed for base of a savory or sweet bread pudding.

3. Open face your buns. Drizzle with olive oil. Add dried oregano, crushed garlic, salt and pepper. Place in oven at 350 for your own personal garlic bread!

So there you have it! Now with this wisdom theres no excuse for any waste or any mold! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...